Image hosted by Photobucket.com a little messy, but full of love ;-)

Thursday, March 3

last night @ a bar/cafe, my boss had a meeting with some lawmakers. Left on my own, i held an impromptu "meeting" with some people who just happened to be there. (Later when she finished, i tried to sneak in and out and she asked "where are you going?" I said But I can't leave them now, they ordered wine for me! Okay, okay, go! Hehehe.)

Anyway, so I was with an artist-religious, a feminist-religious, and a priest! The artist was telling us about him being asked by an organization to write value-focused pop songs for students. It wasn't quite clear what it meant in the brochure so he asked us for examples of values. The feminist friend beside me kept saying, god-fearing, madasalin I said, but it has to be "dasal" in various forms. (In my mind, i was thinking, it takes a lot more to be a good person than being prayerful.) She then went on to recite the streets of UP village. Mahinhin... Masunurin...Matimpiin... Eeew. My not-so-favorite words. It took me a longer time to articulate what I wanted to say, so that they've already moved on to the next topic.

But I managed to interrupt long enough to say, how about values that not only focus on academic excellence, instead, values involved in having higher EQ? Like how to be happy, confident, compassionate, truthful, open-minded, respectful of other's rights, etc.? About having high self-esteem. About knowing when to listen and when to speak up. About being true to oneself. Hmmm. Is this asking too much of pop songs? or of elementary school system? Just that I feel like all the more precious and useful values I've learned and still learning came after school. How convenient it would have been if I learned early on about the difference between self-importance and self-esteem. And even though I had a pretty nice, hassle-free time while I was in school, (I only wish I had been naughtier), I worry now for my nieces. What if they do silly things just to feel accepted by their peers, their teachers or their boyfriends? And some more what-ifs.

I don't know if my 2-liners registered though, coz by that time, they were too excited over the grilled atay ng baboy (that's not in the menu) and the sizzling balut. Oh well.

haay. basta. gusto ko talagang makialam. sana tanungin nya ulit ako tungkol sa values for students.

1 Comments:

Blogger :) dare say...

:D
-v

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home